Monday, September 28, 2009

From Guitar to Drums

This has been a very intense month for personal family reasons so that's why I haven't posted too much. Things are getting back to normal now, so here you go:

The Ghost and the Grace has been evolving a bit. Which is great to see. Daniel is in LA working some networking magic and since the two shows we've played, the band has 'gelled' so to speak. Songs are coming together a bit quicker and I think everyone is really enjoying everyone. No stupid drama. Rad.

But I said evolving and what I mean is that I am going to moving to drums after our show at the Nightlight on October 24th. The current drummer is making a life change and moving to Portland. So I stepped up and got the challenge awarded to me. This was a little scary for me to accept at first because the drum parts if you haven't heard them (and if you haven't you should!), are tough and if you're not tight and really well practiced you're just not gonna make it at all. I know when I've been at my best I could handle these parts but I haven't been practicing daily for a long time now. So my goal is hitting the practice pad two hours a day if I can. Sadly I don't have a place to actually set up and play my drums but that hasn't stopped me before. So...I figure I have a little over a month to prepare for this; I'll be ready. Also, as much as I've excelled at the guitar in a short period of time I would definitely benefit this band better sitting on my drum throne (that's what the seat of a drum set is actually called, that usually confuses people).

On another note, this will be freeing up some of my guitar playing time to writing instead of learning. I had to spend a lot of time learning, rearranging and building muscle memory with the guitar. I don't have to do any of that on drums; so after my muscles get back in shape I can work on just getting the parts down. So what that means is I'll be working on my EP more and get some news posted about that soon. I'm stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment