Friday, April 9, 2010

Me + Idiot Pilot = The Tail of a Jet Black Swan

Here is some news I'm stoked about:  there is a new Idiot Pilot song out and they haven't released a new song since their full length album, Wolves, in 2007.  On the record Wolves, the main drummer was Chris Pennie (The Dillinger Escape Plan and Coheed and Cambria) and also featured Travis Barker (Blink-182) for one song.  I was hired to play drums for their new song titled The Tail of a Jet Black Swan.  I had big shoes to fill and this was my highest profile gig I've had yet, you could say I was a little nervous but mostly excited!

Working with both Michael and Daniel was a comfortable experience.  They were encouraging and laid back which allowed me to really focus on performing my best.  The drums were already laid out and I played the song as written.  As we got solid takes of the 'as written' drums I started embellishing and changing a few patterns slightly which is always kinda risky when laying down tracks for an artist because you don't want to get that: 'um, please play the song as written,'  which I have definitely gotten before.  Mike and Dan are up for feeling out ideas if people have them which is another really amazing benefit while working with them.  I was flattered because a few of my ideas made it to the final cut of the song.

That being said, check it out!  It's streaming on the front page of the Idiot Pilot website.  If you like it, you can download it with a suggested donation of a dollar.  Listen: here!

Here is a picture of my drums for The Tail of a Jet Black Swan tracking session.  It's hard to tell but there are 23 microphones around my drum kit!



No comments:

Post a Comment